BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Re-Draft 5: Recap

This will be the last post for the Re-Draft Series. Looking back at the whole process I really didn't think that it would take as long as it did, but there are some things that I learned or confirmed in my mind.


1. Star Power reigns. There are very few legitimate stars that can simply carry a team when the rest of the team is down. That is extremely valuable and extremely rare. As soon as we got 10 to 15 players in the draft, you were definitely out the stars and into the players that many players consider to be stars but simply can't fill the role. Often times this leads to frustration.

2. Big Men - One of the things that I am so frustrated about with my NBA team, the Utah Jazz, is that they just don't have the reliable, athletic, big man who can truly change the way the game is played. In years past, I have just asked myself, "why don't they just sign one". This really opened my eyes to the fact that there really are only 10 or so centers in the league that you would be really happy to have land on your team. As I look at the upcoming draft and the drafts from recent years, there just aren't that many coming out either. It now makes more sense why when one comes out, they get so much publicity.

3. GM's have much harder jobs than I thought, and I was just drafting a team, not evening worrying about the other personnel issues that they have. There were teams that I was confident would be great and now when I look back at them, I have failed them.

In the end, this was a great exercise to help someone better understand the league in it's present stat and to better understand just a small handful of the challenges that it faces.

0 comments: